The University of Houston–Downtown (UHD) is a state university in the University of Houston System. Founded in 1974, UHD is the second-largest university in the Houston area with more than 14,000 students.
THE BUSINESS CASE FOR MIGRATION
The university needed to migrate all web content from UHD’s legacy website www.uhd.edu to SharePoint 2013, including web pages and all linked images and attachments (documents, videos etc.)
- Extract all the legacy web pages, images and PDF documents from www.uhd.edu site
- Transform the web content by restyling the content and remove old code to make it SharePoint-compatible
- Load the web content into SharePoint 2013 in a site-subsite hierarchy, as per a defined source-target structure mapping
- Associate the correct Page layout & set the Title and other metadata attributes as per the rules
- Ensure Images were loaded into the correct page Assets library and Documents into the Documents library of the Site
- Resolve the Links and Images within each page to point them to items loaded into SharePoint
THE MIGRATION SOLUTION
Our team configured our Proventeq Migration Accelerator for SharePoint 2013, with source connector for Legacy websites allowing for rapid deployment of content from source to target system. We configured complex rules for metadata mapping and HTML transformation, allowing the University of Houston Downtown to move content like-for-like to their SharePoint system.
This allowed us to provide an expedited migration to SharePoint 2013 for the client, with the ability to migrate all relevant metadata. We also configured reusable rules and mappings to enable content restructuring, content cleansing, as well as multiple reprocessing.
Finally, our team performed an item level audit during migration ensured completeness of migration and ensured data integrity.
Smooth Transition to SharePoint
With Proventeq advising on best practice for the new SharePoint libraries, the client could get up and running soon after migration was complete.
Reduction in Costs
Automation of complex migration processes and reuse of the same process for different source systems ensured reduced effort and delivered saving of cost and time.
Improved Data Consistency
An item level audit ensured that every content was successfully cleansed, transformed and migrated to comply with the constraints of the new environment