Financial Services and Markets Authority (FSMA)
Migration from Exchange Public Folders to SharePoint Online
The Financial Services and Markets Authority (FSMA) is one of the two authorities, along with the National Bank of Belgium (NBB), entrusted with the supervision of the Belgian financial sector. The FSMA seeks to ensure that the financial system deserves the trust of its users.
Proventeq was key for us to meet our tight deadline and ensure data quality
Case study overview
Proventeq worked closely with their Belgium Partner, Sogeti, to provide the customer with a solution that would fit all the requirements and to ensure a smooth transition. Proventeq Migration Accelerator was the key technology solution used to migrate content into the new environment. Proventeq Discovery tool helped to analyse all available items in Exchange Public Folders and enabled the identification of any inconsistencies in content and permission. File urls with over 260 characters were identified and substitution rules were designed per department. During the process of standardising the content and metadata, selected items were configured to be converted into MSG format.
The complexities of migrating from Exchange Public Folders to Oracle SharePoint
- Over a million content items were stored in Exchange 2003 Public Folders. A quarter of this content had to be filtered out prior to migration
- Majority of the items were documents and mail messages. These mail messages had to be converted from EML format into MSG format in order to be viewed directly from SharePoint
- Some Exchange items referred as scanned images in ScanPost had metadata stored in external Oracle database
- Users had followed naming convention that created very long file paths in Exchange, which were not supported in SharePoint
- Exchange allowed numerous characters in filename that were not supported in SharePoint
- Being supervisory financial body, the source data was constantly being modified on a daily basis. These data had to be synched.
- Each department had a phased transition plan, meaning that the migration plans had to reflect this requirement
A flexible solution
Through our migration expertise and with the use of our rules-based product, we delivered an end-to-end solution that answered all of the business needs.
Metadata consolidation and retention
Content stored directly in Exchange Server as well as content referenced in external ScanPost database were consolidated and standardised along with all their metadata.
Data consistency and reliability
An item level audit ensured that every content was successfully cleansed, transformed and migrated to comply with the constraints of the new environment. Many items had their format converted to fit the new environment.