Cancer Research UK is the world's leading independent organisation dedicated to cancer research. With a scientific spend in the hundreds of millions, it supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of more than 4,500 scientists, doctors and nurses. It is ranked among the top three biomedical research organisations in the world.
THE BUSINESS CASE FOR MIGRATION
There were three main sources of data for migration:
- Approximately 3,500 HTML pages available in the Cancer Help website built using a bespoke content management system.
- About 1000 pages of clinical trial data from the Cancer Research UK database and published HTML pages to also be available in the Cancer Help website.
- Approximately 3,500 HTML pages available in the News & Resources website built using MediaSurface CMS.
It was important that end-users should be able to search and retrieve relevant information more efficiently by improving the search classification model.
When undertaking this, we would need to migrate all of the existing digital assets such as images and other media files.
All existing metadata needed to be extracted from the source content, often transformed using complex rules and then re-associated to the new Oracle UCM (Stellent) web pages.
Finally, CRUK wanted us to generate reports detailing the migration status for each item along with error reports detailing all the exceptions – which would be dealt with using a mop-up process.
There were several detailed requirements within this work that ensured that it was by no means trivial to achieve:
- It was necessary for us to be able to understand and interpret the existing custom built WCMS that stored its content in a database.
- All the existing page URL forwards and re-directs had to be managed to be in line with site studio customisations and automatic hyperlink resolution.
- It was necessary to apply the new Cancer Research taxonomy across the entirety of the migrated content.
- Our Discovery phase found several new file types that also needed migrating such as Flash, podcasts and web forms.
THE MIGRATION SOLUTION
We used our Proventeq Content Migration Suite to generate an end-to-end migration plan for CRUK. Our migration experts were able to help guide CRUK through the complex aspects of the migration so that they could settle on a solution that answered all their business needs.
This was possible because:
- Proventeq have a broad and deep knowledge of the target product set.
- Our consultants analysed the source content to identify any inconsistencies before migrating anything.
- We have a predefined migration methodology that actively involves our customers in creating the agreed solution.
- We devised an ‘exception plan’ to resolve any inconsistent web pages.
Proventeq’s solution ensured that:
- Hyperlinks within the web pages were trapped and automatically corrected to direct to the correct page in the new structure.
- The site navigation structure was built automatically.
- Detailed reports were produced to satisfy internal and external audit.
Our expert team discovered multiple different file types that were previously unknown and were able to migrate them all successfully. This discovery process shortened the length of downtime and therefore minimised impact.
As part of Proventeq’s dedication to the project, we added extra resources to help CRUK resolve the final few remaining requests, even after the project had officially finished.
Project Goals Exceeded
Our expert team ensured the project goals were not only met but exceeded, giving advise on best practice throughout the migration project to ensure all needs were met.