Cancer Research UK
Migration from Legacy CMS to Oracle
Cancer Research UK is the world's leading independent organization dedicated to cancer research. With a scientific spend in the hundreds of millions, it supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of more than 4,500 scientists, doctors, and nurses. It is ranked among the top three biomedical research organizations in the world.
Proventeq were incredibly thorough and patient throughout a very large and complex project. They took a great deal of trouble to find out about our business area and understand the implications these changes would have on us.
- Liz Woolf, Project Manager, Cancer Research
Case Study Overview
There were three main sources of data for migration:
- Approximately 3,500 HTML pages available in the Cancer Help website built using a bespoke content management system.
- About 1000 pages of clinical trial data from the Cancer Research UK database and published HTML pages to also be available in the Cancer Help website.
- Approximately 3,500 HTML pages available in the News & Resources website built using MediaSurface CMS.
It was important that end-users should be able to search and retrieve relevant information more efficiently by improving the search classification model.
When undertaking this, we would need to migrate all of the existing digital assets such as images and other media files.
All existing metadata needed to be extracted from the source content, often transformed using complex rules and then re-associated to the new Oracle UCM (Stellent) web pages.
Finally, CRUK wanted us to generate reports detailing the migration status for each item along with error reports detailing all the exceptions – which would be dealt with using a mop-up process.
The Complexities Of Migrating From Legacy CMS To Oracle
There were several detailed requirements within this work that ensured that it was by no means trivial to achieve:
- It was necessary for us to be able to understand and interpret the existing custom built WCMS that stored its content in a database.
- All the existing page URL forwards and re-directs had to be managed to be in line with site studio customisations and automatic hyperlink resolution.
- It was necessary to apply the new Cancer Research taxonomy across the entirety of the migrated content.
- Our Discovery phase found several new file types that also needed migrating such as Flash, podcasts and web forms.
Solving Cancer Research UK’s unique challenges
We used our Proventeq Content Migration Suite to generate an end-to-end migration plan for CRUK. Our migration experts were able to help guide CRUK through the complex aspects of the migration so that they could settle on a solution that answered all their business needs.
Our consultants analyzed the source content to identify any inconsistencies before migrating anything.
We have a predefined migration methodology that actively involves our customers in creating the agreed solution.
We devised an ‘exception plan’ to resolve any inconsistent web pages.
Hyperlinks within the web pages were trapped and automatically corrected to direct to the correct page in the new structure.
The site navigation structure was built automatically.
Detailed reports were produced to satisfy internal and external audit.