The Australian Department of Home Affairs portfolio brings together Australia's federal law enforcement, national and transport security, criminal justice, emergency management, multicultural affairs and immigration and border-related functions and agencies, working together to keep Australia safe.
THE BUSINESS CASE FOR MIGRATION
The Department of Home Affairs had a requirement to migrate LEGENDcom, which contains legislation and policy documents relating to migration and citizenship. LEGENDcom was on a legacy Folio/NXT platform and the requirement was to move the entire LEGENDcom content on to a new SharePoint based AA Compliant web platform.
- Over million items consisting of HTML pages, documents and images were stored in the legacy website.
- The source site structure was defined in XML files, which had to be recreated in the target system.
- HTML content had many embedded styles and formatting which required cleansing before moving to the target system, while selectively retaining certain font styles and formats.
- Each page had links to other pages and images; these had to be resolved and changed to the newly loaded location of the respective item.
- There was a special requirement to place a custom column for the ordering of items in SharePoint.
- Content within each page had to be changed to comply with Accessibility standards (AA compliance).
- The content of pages had a set of ordered list patterns. Each pattern was different from other patterns- the client requested regularity in relation to the patterns so each one had to be aligned.
THE MIGRATION SOLUTION
Proventeq devised a plan to provide the customer with fast and reliable migration from legacy website to SharePoint.
Our Discovery tool helped to analyse all available source items.
Proventeq’s rules-based content type mapping and metadata mapping tool was the pivotal aspect in associating content types and page layouts while adding custom column values using metadata values. An ‘exception plan’ was devised to resolve any inconsistent source files.
Regex based configurations were carefully devised by analysing source styling and ordered lists for transforming legacy HTML to WCAG compliant HTML.
Migration consultants defined a strategy and agreed on a migration plan to coincide with the move by the department. Additionally, a ‘Delta plan’ was put in place to enable departments to make last minutes changes to content while the migration was still in process.
An ‘Exceptional’ Solution
Our team ensured every piece of data was aligned with the rules of the migration. This included resolving any inconsistent files, therefore guaranteeing that the migration would be successful.
Enhanced Content Quality
All the items were successfully transformed with WCAG compliance standards while enhancing the quality of all content items and digital assets.
Reduced Business Downtime
The ‘phased migration’ and ‘delta management’ proved useful for the client's internal departments to transition into their new environment at their own pace.