The European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT) is an intergovernmental organisation created through an international convention agreed by a current total of 30 European Member States: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United Kingdom.
EUMETSAT's primary objective is to establish, maintain and exploit European systems of operational meteorological satellites. EUMETSAT is responsible for the launch and operation of the satellites and for delivering satellite data to end-users as well as contributing to the operational monitoring of climate and the detection of global climate changes.
THE BUSINESS CASE FOR MIGRATION
EUMETSAT had been using Hummingbird document management (HDM) to manage their strict document policies and security. however, their corporate strategy warranted a move to Oracle UCM 11g (UCM). Since the Hummingbird DM application was customised for the organisation, moving data to UCM posed real challenges.
- Around half a million documents with multiple revisions had to be migrated with all the attributes, relations, attachments, access rights and audit history.
- Other data like users, groups, personal workspaces and saved searches had to be migrated.
- The architecture of HDM and UCM are natively different, which meant various types of complex mappings were required to move the documents.
- HDM uses virtual folders and virtual links which introduced challenges in mapping multiple parents in the information hierarchy.
- Certain advanced cross-referencing between content were not natively supported in UCM.
- Permission structure in HDM did not have a straightforward mapping on to the UCM permission structure or its permission inheritance.
- Data was constantly changing.
THE MIGRATION SOLUTION
Proventeq worked closely with their UCM implementation partner, Infomentum, to provide the customer with a solution that would fulfill all the requirements and ensure a smooth transition.
Proventeq’s Migration Accelerator was the key technological solution used to migrate content into the new environment.
Our Discovery tool helped to analyse all available documents in Hummingbird, enabling the identification of any inconsistencies in metadata, content and permission. Numerous reports were generated to identify data corruption and distribution of relevant metadata.
Proof of concept was successfully performed on a sample dataset to highlight the benefits of automated migration. Our expert migration consultants then defined a strategy and agreed on a migration plan- both to handle the complexity of the data and the numerous exception cases that were introduced after an upgrade process.
All challenges pertaining to differences in the fundamental architecture were resolved during the pilot migration phases.
Business continuity is important to us: a ‘Delta plan’ was put in place to enable the organisation to function as normal while the migration was still in process.
Relationships and integrity
Metadata from different profiles were consolidated and standardised in Oracle UCM. All relationships like content hierarchy, attachments, related items etc were converted to a UCM equivalent relationship.
Automation of complex content migration processes for the heavily customised version of Hummingbird ensured reduced effort and delivered saving of cost and time.
The ‘automated migration’ and ‘delta management’ proved useful for the organisation to adopt Oracle UCM without any significant downtime.