Evolving over almost a century, Strukton Rail has become one of the leading rail providers in the world; their expertise encompasses rail construction, maintenance and technological development.
THE BUSINESS CASE FOR MIGRATION
With increasing customer demand came the need for a more up-to-date operating system. Having previously relied on an on-premises Hummingbird DM ECM system to manage the storage, classification and distribution of content across the organisation, Strukton took the decision to move forward with an implementation of SharePoint Online as their Content Services Platform.
Before the new SharePoint platform could become operational, Strukton needed to migrate over 1 million content items stored in their existing Hummingbird DM ECM platform in full fidelity to SharePoint Online. This would allow Strukton’s staff to benefit from the advanced content management and collaboration features of Office 365.
- A thorough assessment of Strukton’s source content was required to point to errors, inconsistencies and relationships surrounding content.
- Folders in Hummingbird DM were not representative due to large volumes of unfiled documents based on metadata associated with different Strukton departments.
- Content in Hummingbird DM repositories required segregation and migration to consolidated content types and different site collections in SharePoint Online.
- A review of the existing information architecture was needed to determine necessary mapping and transformation rules based on metadata required for migration.
- Related documents stored in Strukton’s Hummingbird DM platform with similar metadata required migration to the same target location/container within SharePoint
- An audit trail and metadata-based reports were required for the entire migration, to ensure all the items in scope of migration had been moved across correctly.
THE MIGRATION SOLUTION
To meet the specific challenges of Strukton’s migration to SharePoint project requirements, Proventeq proposed and carried out a strategic five-step migration solution utilising the advanced features of our Migration Accelerator product.
DISCOVERY & ANALYSIS
Migration Accelerator’s drill-down discovery reports and pre-migration checks identified potential migration issues, helped decide on an efficient migration strategy and established the requirements of a target information structure.
INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE OPTIMISATION
Migration Accelerator’s Metadata-based target structure mapping feature mapped documents to an information architecture which closely matched Strukton’s internal organisational and departmental hierarchy.
MIGRATION DESIGN & CONFIGURATION
With the need to extract additional metadata based on the parent folder’s metadata, migration rules were setup via Migration Accelerator to map assets into respective content types. Rules were applied to logically migrate related items.
Proventeq carried out an end-to-end pilot migration to closely examine the existing content landscape and to highlight potential issues and complexities which would require attention prior to the production migration process.
INCREMENTAL LIVE MIGRATION
The migration was staged to allowed for departmental availability. Proventeq’s team generated custom reports based to ensure the entire content portfolios of respective departments was migrated successfully.
OPTIMISED CONTENT ARCHITECTURE
To allow Strukton to optimise their content architecture in SharePoint, Proventeq ensured that content stored in disparate source systems, including archived data, were consolidated and standardised along with all their metadata.
An item level audit along with metadata ensured that every content was successfully cleansed, transformed and migrated to comply with the constraints of the new environment.
SEAMLESS TRANSITION TO SHAREPOINT
The adoption of pilot, live and delta migration processes helped to ensure that Proventeq’s strategy met the needs of the project; staging the migration over period of months helped Strukton to avoid any costly or time-consuming technical issues and ensured that departments across the organization would be able to access content and information as needed both during the project and after the migration’s completion.
MINIMAL IMPACT TO BUSINESS ACTIVITIES
Automation of complex migration processes, and reuse of the same process for different source systems ensured reduced effort. This minimised the impact on business-critical processes and resulted in a reduction in overall project cost.
With Proventeq advising on best practice for Hummingbird to SharePoint migration, Strukton’s team was assured to continue their business as usual during and after migration.