McAllister Olivarius are an international law firm with special expertise in bringing discrimination claims in the United States, England and Wales. They also have a thriving practice in corporate law, conducting transactions and providing advice for companies on both sides of the Atlantic.
THE BUSINESS CASE FOR MIGRATION
As is common amongst law firms, McAllister Olivarius were operating on an iManage Worksite system. The limitation of managing content from 4 separate divisions and entities within the organisation in the Worksite platform resulted in the need for a more structured and inclusive online environment.
To address this situation, Microsoft’s SharePoint Online product was chosen to provide a complete and extensible content services component for the practice. To enable this quickly and smoothly, McAllister Olivarius chose Proventeq’s Migration Accelerator software and an extensive migration service program to provide a timely, end-to-end solution.
THE CHALLENGES OF MIGRATION FROM WORKSITE TO SHAREPOINT
- The Creation of a new ‘tree-like’ hierarchy file structure required the flattening a large number of nested folders and mapping these to the new system. Each legal matter required a standardized folder structure and migration was an opportunity to cleanse folders in existing matters and make them compliant with the new structure. Thousands of matter workspaces were migrated to their individual sites specially designed to work on legal matters in a collaborative manner.
- With three sister organisations; files were located in the same flat system which required a segregated configuration where each organisation had their own workspace.
- More than 500,000 files required both accurate migration from Worksite, and that all important case assets retained their relationships and integrity.
- A review of the existing information architecture was needed to determine necessary mapping and transformation rules based on metadata required for migration.
- To minimise the impact to the busy law practice both in the UK and internationally, the final migration had to take place over a 48-hour period.
- An audit trail and metadata-based reports were required for the entire migration, to ensure all the items in scope of migration had been moved across correctly and could be admissible in court.
OUR FIVE STAGE MIGRATION SOLUTION
Proventeq’s migration experts worked closely with McAllister Olivarius to design and implement a best practice content migration solution to enable a smooth transition to their new SharePoint Online environment.
DISCOVERY & ANALYSIS
After meeting with the client’s team to understand their particular migration requirements, Proventeq performed a full discovery and analysis of content to identify inconsistencies and potential issues prior to migration.
INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE OPTIMISATION
Classification and separation of data was efficiently processed to meet the demands of accessibility and navigation within the SharePoint architecture for all four separate McAllister Olivarius entities.
MIGRATION DESIGN & CONFIGURATION
To incorporate the new, hierarchical structure to the digital environment, existing nested folders were flattened and successfully mapped to provide an innovative solution to the complex information and records structure.
Migration Accelerator’s pilot migration feature allowed full mapping of all content prior to live migration; keeping their firm operational on their existing ECM system prior to the go-live of SharePoint Online.
INCREMENTAL LIVE MIGRATION
Proventeq migrated all 500,000 files and numerous user IDs over a 48-hour period. Integral item audits took place during the process to ensure that any errors were instantly noticed and rectified, and each item was migrated safely.
DATA CONSISTENCY & RELIABILITY
McAllister Olivarius had a high number of legally sensitive files to be migrated; frequent item level audits monitored asset integrity and preserved critically important case files. This ensured that McAllister Olivarius maintained the flawless degree of data consistency required, met the challenges of internal governance and regulatory control, and were able to complete a frictionless transition from iManage Worksite to SharePoint.
PRACTICAL CONTENT STRUCTURE
By professionally tailoring a new structuring system that matched the brief, Proventeq enabled McAllister Olivarius to effectively sperate content from each of the 4 entities which make up the organisation. Additionally, each corporation was disconnected and remapped into its own digital landscape. These measures have helped McAllister Olivarius to work in a much more efficient manner and provided an effective method to manage content across the practice.
MINIMAL IMPACT TO BUSINESS
Business continuity is always a worry when considering a sizeable migration; Migration Accelerator’s trial function created a detailed map for the content and was therefore able to be completed to an extremely strict timescale. This ensured that both the migration process itself, and the switchover between platforms, did not impact the client’s business negatively.
ACCELERATE YOUR MIGRATION FROM WORKSITE
Fast, secure and scalable migration is just a click away